The old cemetery of Värska is probably of the same age with the historical village centre where the cultural layers date back to the 11th-12th century. During Prehistoric and Middle Ages it was common to bury the deceased to the small cemetery in close vicinity. The sandy hill located close to the village was a good pick for a graveyard. After the new church was built in 1907, a new graveyard was founded around the new church and the old cemetery was neglected.
There are three stones with Orthodox cross-marks on the cemetery. Two of these are most likely gravestones. There was also a small chapel on the cemetery, but it was also neglected and forgotten after the new church was finished. The cemetery was the destination of Orthodox processions, the priest had a memorial service there during the processions. The processions continued until the 1950ies, even though people were not buried in the old graveyard any more.
Next to the old cemetery there used to be a place for traditional village parties, now people gather by the main crossroad of Värska for such parties.