Mikitamäe Tsässon


The square at the front of the Mikitamäe Culture House is called Tsässon Square, because there are two tsässons there located next to each other. The so-called old tsässon is the oldest wooden building in mainland Estonia: it was most likely built in 1694. Originally, the building was located next to Tartu‒Pechory Road, where it stood during the Soviet era and began to disintegrate. In 2009, the tsässon was renovated and brought to the site of the former town hall. In the meantime, in 1998, a new tsässon was built.
Both Mikitamäe tsässons are dedicated to the Apostle Thomas, and the village holiday is a the Sunday of St. Thomas, which is held a week after Easter.
 

Contacts
Raili Mõttus
+372 5647 8930

raili@setomaa.ee
http://visitsetomaa.ee