The Northern Camp was founded on the shores of Lake Õrsava in 1926. It was a summer training center for Estonian Defense Forces, mostly for cavalry and artillery. Soldiers gathered here from all over Estonia. The camp buildings included houses for the officers, horse stables, barracks for the soldiers, a Casino or a Soldiers’ House and a dining hall – altogether about 35 buildings. Most of the houses were built in 1928-1930 by the soldiers themselves. Financing was very modest, yet the buildings were strong and well built. There were also sports and study fields as well as a shooting range in the camp. Even though the camp was largely demolished during the WW II, some of the barracks and other building have survived.
The life of local people was not much impacted by the camp; however, it was certainly exciting for the inhabitants to see the soldiers and ships coming in spring.