The current Värska singing grounds are located on the former flag square of the Northern camp of the Estonian Defense Forces in the 1920’s -1930’s. In the summer there was a festive lineup accompanied by a fancy goose-stepping show every single night. The local people also came to enjoy the ceremony quite often.
Behind the current stage, there is a foundation of a former Casino, which was the heart of the Northern camp. It was also called the Soldiers’ Home. This outstanding building was meant for the use by everyone serving at the camp and was big enough to fit 500 people. The building had different halls, reading rooms, refectories, commissaries and guest rooms.
The festival ground was built here in the 1970’s. In 2011, on the 70th anniversary of the June deportation (mass deportation by the Soviet Union), a memorial stone was set up in the middle of the square to commemorate the repressed Estonian military officials.
In the summertime the Värska singing grounds are a busy place. There are all kinds of festivals, concerts, fairs etc. taking place here.